Wednesday 9 February 2011

Holy Moley


Exhibit A is a mole that we found whilst ostensibly looking for newts at the reserve at Wymondham (it is a little early in February for these amphibians to be out of hibernation in great number but as we had a couple of hours we thought we'd give it a go). We didn't see any newts, but did come across this recently deceased chap. I've never really had a chance to look so closely at one; I was amazed at the superb adaptation to its niche. Huge front claws for digging, a ratio of eyes to nose that shows the priority of senses in its world and a body like a prop forward to help it push through the earth. Spotting animals that are dead is so much easier than live ones!

1 comment:

  1. I have a few dead moles given to me by the 'mole man' in Norfolk many years ago. They sit pickled in my shed and with their perfect hands they look rather worryingly as if they are trying to climb out of the jars.

    ReplyDelete