Saturday 30 August 2014

Butterfly Counting and Hummingbirds


In the last days of August we finally find 15 minutes to count butterflies in the garden. Alexander, Bertie, Freddie and I worked our way around the big buddleias and other butterfly friendly plants and did our best to count butterflies once. Lots of butterflies making the most of a late summer sunshine and pollen but only four species and very few Peacocks.

Totals
Pieris rapae - Small White: 11
Inachis io - Peacock: 2
Aglais urticae - Small Tortoiseshell: 13
Vanessa atalanta - Red Admiral: 24





On a related note. Whilst at the annual Ashcott Beerfest end of summer BBQ yesterday we saw a Hummingbird Hawkmoth. Gary and I had been talking about them only this morning on the sidelines at the first of the children's football Saturday session. I have seen them in France, and Gary had seen them over the summer in his garden in Shapwick, but we hadn't ever seen one in Ashcott and then one almost flew into me while I ate my burger. Before I could shout to Gary it flew across the garden and into the conservatory where he was sitting, a bit weird, and we had an exciting few minutes trying to catch it whilst explaining to everyone what it was.



No comments:

Post a Comment