Monday 29 August 2011

Wharfedale Pt 2


Adding to Dunc's post about the wonderful weekend spent in Yorkshire, I thought I'd share this photo of the Wharfe, taken at the same time as Dunc's panoramic shot. It amused me that we both appear in each other's shot.

I loved 'Swallows & Amazons' as a child, and recall a scene in which Ransome describes a dipper, so I have always associated it with Northern waterways, but have never knowingly seen one - it's not present in Norfolk anyway. The quick flowing, rocky Wharfe is a very different river than those of the Broads with which I am familiar, but I shall always remember it with fondness for those moments of watching from water-level as the little brown and white dipper jumped from stone to stone, diving, bobbing and splashing.  For a moment, Ransome's description came to life, and I was submerged in river and memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment