Sunday 15 January 2012

A slow start

It's been a strange new year. Mild temperatures and high winds seem to be disrupting normal patterns. I saw the first snowdrops of the year yesterday, which is 11 days earlier than last year. There have some large gatherings of birds including these lapwings. I've only ever seen handfuls of these birds, but I understand that historically large flocks were common over local fields, so it's great to see this sight. Getting up close, we could hear the fantastic noise of their 'pee-wit' calls as they wheeled and bobbed over the wintry fields.

3 comments:

  1. Great to get underway with our year's postings. We had snowdrops clearly up under our apple tree last Saturday, so that makes it 7th January here in the West. Daffs already pushing up fast also and early buds growing on the trees. Serious cold yet to come I expect, as Friday was antarctic and I nearly lost my fingers on the cycle to work. D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, as you say time travel seems to be in full force on these comments. Yes, serious cold has set in here as well and will no doubt disrupt things further. Forgot to mention we had the lovely sight of a male Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) in our garden yesterday. Cracking bird. New nest box camera set up now so awaiting action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want one, I want one. I'l sneak over with my crayfish finger puppet. D

    ReplyDelete