Saturday 6 April 2013

First Butterflies in the spring sunshine.

Beautiful day back in Somerset, bright spring sunshine and the children charging about outside making dens with the guinea pigs and rabbit. Ironically as I planted out buddleia cuttings, for the wildlife garden we are starting at college, I saw my first brimstone butterfly flying fast about the garden looking for spring flowers. I saw another three over the course of the day and also the first rather dopey tortoiseshell sitting on a plant in the back garden. Then in the late afternoon I also saw a honey bee out foraging and clearly briefly confused by the colourful drawings on the gardening box my son got for Christmas.

The insects are clearly beginning to come out to look for food to build up their strength and after a long cold spring their colourful lively return is very welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment