Friday 2 August 2013

Cuttlefish Eggs

We found a clump of strange 'weed' on the beach. It was similar to a number of bladder species of seaweed but unusually the bladders were full of water, much like a bunch of grapes. The weed was put in a jam jar to be identified later and then forgotten. A couple of days later I noticed that the jar was full of small white shapes about 10mm long. On close inspection I realised that the grapes must have been cuttlefish eggs as the tiny white forms were miniature cuttlefish but tragically all seemed to be dead. One seemed to possibly be moving so I released them in to the sea with the remaining unhatched eggs. Saddened by this turn of events I can at least recognise that they were probably lost once they washed up on the beach and also learn from this and will know what I am looking at in future if I ever find more.


No comments:

Post a Comment