Thursday 15 August 2013

The Ted Ellis Norfolk Room - Norwich Castle Museum

Great afternoon in the Norwich Castle Museum with the family. We always spend time spotting animals in the dioramas and then I have to carefully point out the butterflies on the trees and the nightjar hiding on the forest floor. The children then escaped to look at the polar bear, make the stuffed tiger roar and to throw coins down the enormous well in the keep - it's a wonderful museum. I have always loved the dioramas and as a child I used to look closely at them as I walked through the hall on the way to museum club and they haven't changed at all. The quality of the painting is wonderful and the combination of natural history and theatre and the required suspension of disbelief makes them seem familiar and slightly magical, and again I am inspired to paint backdrops within my artwork and to echo this quality.









No comments:

Post a Comment